Make This Year's Holiday Party a Potluck


Image : http://www.flickr.com


Every year I look forward to my Christmas luncheon. Planning it took weeks and I did not mind. As usual, the luncheon would be at my house. This year, however, with a diagnosis of high blood pressure, the planning seemed more difficult. I mentioned this to a friend.

"Make it a potluck," she suggested.

"That's a great idea!" I exclaimed, and started working on it immediately.

Vanessa Graves offers tips for hosting a potluck in her All Recipes website article, "Party Planning 1o1." Whether the group is large or small, Grave says the planning steps are the same. Seeing the big picture is the first step. "A great party takes on a life of its own," she notes.

According to Graves, invitations should be sent out a week ahead of time. But my friends are so busy I contacted them a month ahead of time. I sent emails to 13 people, saying the luncheon would be potluck and suggesting a date. "The menu is simple," I wrote. "Appetizers, soup, bread, salad, and dessert." Each guest was assigned a category.

Guests were asked to rsvp and two were unable to come. In their replies, most of my friends told me what they planned to make. Their email replies morphed into a complete menu:

Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Minnesota Wild Rice Soup
Homemade bread
Bibb Lettuce Salad with Sliced Pears, Walnuts, and Blue Cheese
Swedish Creme with Raspberries
Irish Oatmeal Cake
Fudgy Brownies
Wine, Coffee and Tea

I would supply punch, salad, Swedish Creme, dessert plates, napkins, decorations, and favors. Years ago, I wrote an all-purpose luncheon invitation, so it was easy for me to change luncheon to potluck, insert the date, and confirm the dish each friend was bringing.

Donna Pilato tells how to plan a potluck in her article, "Potluck Parties: It May Sound Old-Fashioned, but it Fits Our Modern Lifestyle." To avoid duplicate dishes, she tells the host or hostess to plan the menu. The food doesn't need to be fancy, Pilato adds, but it should be prepared in advance. "Nobody should do more in the kitchen than pop something in the oven for reheating."

Modern potlucks often have a theme or focus, such as a book, knitting, or board business. Entertainment may also be provided. But my friends and I know each other well and we entertain ourselves. Over the years, we have cried together, laughed together, and supported each other during crisis.

Though potlucks sound "ify," they are organized and vibrant gatherings. Sara Elliott, in her article, "How to Host a Holiday Potluck," thinks this form of entertaining can showcase cooking prowess and hospitality. Make sure you have enough chairs and silverware, she advises, and check last minute details. Potlucks "give us an opportunity to share time and the bounty of good food with friends and relatives in a way that doesn't overburden one person or family," notes Elliott.

The potluck luncheon is Thursday and we're going to have a marvelous, laughter-filled time.

Copyright 2009 by Harriet Hodgson

Recommend : Easter Product Store